The church of St. John was built north of the Tammerkoski rapids in 1902-1907. Its name was changed to Tampere cathedral after the bishop's seat was moved to Tampere in 1923.
The grey-granite, tile-roofed church was built on the basis of designs by architect Lars Sonck. The artwork is by painters Hugo Simberg and Magnus Enckell.
Tampere Cathedral is considered to be the chief monument of Finnish national romantic architectural style as well as a magnificent specimen of the skills of builders and craftsmen of the time.